Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I Am Not A Robot

You might think that Marina is a singer and the Diamonds is her backup band. But, in fact, Marina & the Diamonds is one person, Marina Diamandis, who comes from Wales. When I first ran into Marina, I was shown her video "Oh No!" At first I thought she reminded me a bit of Ke$ha - what with the glitter and sparkles and glam and girl power and such. But after further listening, I realized - wait a minute - her music is actually good! Not only that, but she doesn't appear to be drunk, she isn't dancing around in her underwear, and she's probably never released a sex tape. So far, so good.
As one of her songs suggests, Marina looks like Catherine Zeta-Jones and sounds like Shakira. But her music is nothing like you might expect from someone fitting that expression. Her songs are poppy, but a little quirky. They are catchy and I find myself listening to her whether I am doing my homework or having a dance party.
My favorite song is definitely Oh No! - its super upbeat and definitely gives off the girl power/independent woman vibe. I also like Mowgli's Road, not only because it reminds me of the Jungle Book which was one of my favorite Disney movies, but because of its slightly soulful chorus.
Another thing that's great about Marina is all of her music videos - they are super creative and exciting to watch, each equally peculiar and unique. And, they're all on youtube. I Am Not A Robot is probably the most famous song off "The Family Jewels" and I highly recommend you check it out, along with the rest of Marina's music!

No comments:

Post a Comment