I was first drawn to the Nappy Roots because of their catchy album title: "Watermelon, Chicken & Gritz." Maybe because it seems artistic and I thought their music would be equally interesting, maybe I was just hungry. But my instincts were right, because I haven't been able to stop listening.
All the songs on the album are upbeat and catchy, and they all have song names equally awesome to the album title: Sholiz, Headz Up, Country Boyz, and my favorite, Ballin' on a Budget. The samples are atypical for rap, a lil' bit more old school. Unlike modern rap you hear on the radio, the Nappy Roots manage to not swear every other word - which I admit can work for some people, but its nice to have a break from it every once in a while and just sit back and enjoy the music.
My two favorite songs on the album are Po' Folks and Aw Naw. Po' Folks has some nice, soulful background music and slow lyrics. Not only is it calming and catchy, but it sends a valuable message - they may be poor, but they're not worried about it, they're focusing on the good things in life, like enjoying the company of each other and their girlfriends.
Aw Naw (besides the funny title) is a nice upbeat song about something. "Them country boys with them big fat wheels"?? "cow grills"?? The lyrics are a bit mysterious but the song is definitely pleasing to the ear.
I've been listening to Nappy Roots every week at the gym, because their songs tend to be exactly at the pace I work the treadmill at: upbeat, but not too fast.
I wanted to leave you with the most upbeat and uninterpretable song of the album, but I guess they're not cool enough for youtube (or they're too cool for youtube, depending on which way you look at it). So you can listen to a 30 second preview here: Sholiz - Nappy Roots or search for them on your own if you are really determined. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment