So I don't know if it's pronounced lie-key-lie or licky-lee (that's what I choose to call it) but the most recent album I have tackled is by Lykke Li. Her real name is Li Lykke Timotej Zachrisson: she's Swedish. But anyways, despite her name being confusing, her album, Youth Novels, is great.
I'm cheating a little bit, since I didn't actually hear about Lykke Li from my friend who doubled the music on my iPod just before the semester started. I randomly decided to click on her takeaway video on La Blogotheque (yes, La Blogotheque strikes again), and loved it. The song, Dance Dance Dance, is light and cheerful, as is the video. The song is simple, and yet uses a large number of instruments spread out through out the song showing her depth and musical talent.
Most of the other songs on the album are equally artistic and catchy. There are a few songs, I must admit, which are a little weird and probably wouldn't appeal to the general public. Melodies & Desires and The Trumpet in My Head involve some strange music playing in the background while Lykke Li talks softly, saying some nonsense about trumpets in her head and how love is the harmony, and desire is the key.
Alongside her creative indie music, what also appeals to me is her voice. It is definitely different than what you might expect, and very hard to explain in words - you just have to hear it. It isn't the same as your average diva - she doesn't sound like Shakira or Lady Gaga. Her voice is softer, and almost more old-fashioned. Her music is very soothing, great for listening while doing homework or reading a book (not that I ever do that, but I imagine it would be nice). No matter how you pronounce it, Lykke Li is definitely worth checking out!
I admire how interested you are in foreign music
ReplyDeleteI loved your throw-away line "not that I ever do it"--that was worth of Roxie herself.
ReplyDelete