So I guess I'm feeling foreign lately. This week I decided to give a listen to Sigur Rós, an Icelandic band. So they don't sing in English, and the lead singer's voice is pretty high. Wikipedia lists them as a "post-rock" band, which makes sense. Their album, Takk... sounds pretty futuristic, but in a good way!
Their use of xylophones, strings, synthesizers...other unidentifiable instruments makes their album very fascinating and different. However the music is calming and quiet, easy to listen to and is entirely soothing if you play it as you are lying down for a nap. And I don't mean this in a bad way ("This music is so bad it will put you to sleep"), but in a really superb and awesome way.
I first heard of them waay back in the day, when my friend invited me to a Bon Iver and Sigur Rós concert for about 20 bucks. I blew him off with a "pshhh who is that? I have better things to do with my time" but now I seem to be regretting that decision, a lot, as the band announced a hiatus last January. My chance to see them may have passed.
Like I have mentioned before, I am not great with song titles, but I can usually guess if you give me a few minutes to think about it. Howevr, considering all of Sigur Rós' songs are NOT in English, and neither are their names...I can't really discern between them. Glósóli, Hoppípolla, Saeglópur...they all sound the same to me. But the music is great...so check it out. I'm super sleepy, so I'm off to listen to Sigur Rós and go to bed. Sweet dreams all!
This is pretty interesting... music is transforming
ReplyDeleteI'm a fan of a pretty inventive band out of Chicago called Eastern Blok. Could you listen and tell me what you think--they have videos on youtube. Thanks.
ReplyDelete