Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My New Favorite Song

About 3 years ago, a friend introduced me to the group Bon Iver, and their album "For Emma, Forever Ago." I immediately fell in love with the entire album (and not just because it contained my name), and particularly one song called Skinny Love. This has been my favorite song ever since, and I never thought anything would top it.
However, I was recently introduced to a new band, Beirut. At first I wasn't so down  - my boyfriend of over a year, a few minutes after breaking up with me, told me I should give them a listen. But after a few weeks I decided to try them out. And I hate to admit it, but he was right. They are amazing.
Almost all of Beirut's songs have weird and confusing titles (Gulag Orkestar, Prenzlauerberg, etc) so it was hard for me to distinguish between them. However, one song in particular stood out to me. Something about it caught me off guard, and for weeks on end I couldn't get it out of my head. You would think this would be a bad thing, but it really wasn't. I found the song on Blogotheque, which made it even better, and was listening to it every day, multiple times a day. After much consideration, I have come to accept the fact that Nantes, by Beirut, has become my favorite song.
This isn't to say that the rest of their songs are unmentionable. Every song on the 3ish albums (some EPs) which I have inherited are equally amazing. I highly suggest you take a listen.

1 comment:

  1. So what was it that made Nantes stand out for you--you say "something about it" but I'm wondering what?!

    ReplyDelete